At different times through history, the pomegranate has been known as the ‘divine’ fruit, a metaphor for female fertility, and has been a prominent symbol of wealth and splendour. However, what are the actual health benefits of a pomegranate and is it a valuable ingredient for wellness?
Here are some surprising health benefits you can gain from adding pomegranate to your shopping list:
1. Pomegranates are bursting with antioxidants – Antioxidants are essential to protect your body against free radicals. Free radicals increase the risk of disease and premature ageing.
2. Each delicious pomegranate seed is rich with Vitamin C – Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that helps to boost your immune system along with many other benefits.
3. Pomegranates have anti-inflammatory benefits – Pomegranate seeds are perfect for your diet to aid prevention against disease due to their anti-inflammatory properties.
4. They’re an excellent source of fibre – Fibre is essential in helping weight loss, regular bowel movements and maintaining digestive health.
5. Pomegranates prevent plaque formation – Pomegranate seeds have anti-plaque effects, so are the perfect alternative to a sugary snack.
Try adding pomegranate to your diet today either in a delicious salad or have a bowl of pomegranate seeds as a luxurious dessert.
P.S. If you’re interested in trying pomegranate in a salad, try our favourite recipe:
½ a pomegranate
Handful of Watercress
1-2 spring onion(s)
½ a red sweet pepper
And drizzle in olive oil (source of Omega 3)